Monday, August 23, 2010

The Empty Nest

    All I ever wanted to be was a Mom. And a Good Wife. And a Proficient Housekeeper. And a Good Cook. And Grow my own Food. And Knit. And Sew. And Have a Happy Family that was all the better for it. Not what a young girl coming of age when the Equal Rights Amendment was suppose to give women the opportunity to BE something so much Better. But there I was just wanting to be a Mom. I wanted to have the look of contentment that Katie Douglas had as she lay her sons down for a rest. And make cookies with pearls on just like June Cleaver. And knit like Elizabeth Zimmerman. And Understand food like Alice Waters. And Make a pie crust as pretty as Martha's.  
    I did go to college ..got a couple of degrees and had the opportunity to put them to use. But all I really  wanted to do is be a Mom.
   And I have LOVED that chosen vocation! All of it.

I just moved my youngest of 4 into his dorm room.
And so the journey of Life after MotherHood begins...

1 comment:

Churchma said...

At least you knew what you wanted! I married somewhat suspiciously in 1972 - at age 26 - determied to be a career woman but still trying to figure out what my career was. At age 30 I began the career I expect to retire from in a year or two - but along the way - at age 35, and 39, and 43, I had three children who are the joy of my life. I chose to work parttime for most of 20 years but was still able to continue to be promoted on the job, and when the youngest was in middle school I moved into a full time management position. After decades of struggling not to be defined by my motherhood, I discovered that "Mom" was the title I was most proud of, and my children's accomplishments meant much more than any awards or status at work. My youngest is now a senior in college and the older two have meaningfull jobs (one teaching, one in public health dealing with HIV in Africa). My husband and I are rediscovering each other in the empty nest and thoroughly enjoying a new adult relationship with the competent caring young adults we helped to raise. Hang in there, enjoy the changing relationships with your husband and children, and keep knitting! (I connected to your blog from Ravelry after you faved one of my projects today.)