Thursday, November 19, 2015

(Another) Walk in the Woods


No secret I love my mountains. Even better than that is hiking those mountains. Not too many local to me share that notion, some even mocking it. Walking along trails alone never seemed a smart idea but on this bright blue beautiful day I couldn't bear to waste any more time.... to waste any more of these short lives we are given.
 So I set out solo. 



By the time I reached the trail that I had been pining to explore for years, the sky had grown foggy, cool and dismal. Having spent way too much time waiting to Live this stage of life to it's fullest, I was not deterred and set out anyway.


So happy I did.


Who lives here?

The rock eating tree.


Coming across reminders of how the land was once used was fascinating. Contemplating the lives that the mountain people lived before they were forced to leave when Shenandoah National Park was created gave me more than just a moment of pause. 

Old stone fences have such a story to tell.

I trust they were not much different than I, simply wanting to live content lives, balancing out hard work with pleasures among their families.


Next time, I will not be too timid to cross on my own

I think I will venture out on more hikes alone, when I make moments without family obligations and other duties happen.
{It's so important to do so.}
Unless of course, you'd like to join me. 


Playing in the leaves is not wasteful. 
Never ever. 






7 comments:

genie said...

Shenandoah National Park is one of our favorite places, and we, too, adore our mountains and to love to take our walks in them. Such pretty photos today.

Lynne said...

Off you go . . .
Alone is as okay as togetherness . . .
Sometimes too much of either gets us in a bundle . . .
Beautifully written . . .
Photos loved . . .
I'd be right with you . . .
How did I know INSTANTLY that I had met a beautiful person . . .
And then I had a chance to hug her . . .
Oh my . . .

Leonora said...

Oh! You went on a wonderful hike! Thank you for taking me along- it felt pretty close to being there myself : )

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

I'll come walking with you, not sure you should go alone, do take care.

TexWisGirl said...

oh, so beautiful! i hope you'll link this this week!

Debby Ray said...

Glorious photos! Looks like my idea of a great walk in the woods!

Anonymous said...

Walking in the woods nothing better except with grandchildren;) I can't wait for that. Nice shots. Hug B