Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fire (again)

Less than two weeks after a fire at our shop, we are keeping an eye on another.


 
Those aren't clouds folks. The rest of the sky is as blue as can be. That is smoke from a wildfire that has been burning since Easter Sunday here in the Shenandoah Valley.
It's one of five currently in Virginia.
The smallest.
 'Only' 5400 acres so far.

We first noticed the smoke on that afternoon. Didn't think too much of it. But as day gave way to the dark and we made our rounds to close up the outbuildings, there was no mistaking the bright orange glow and spouts coming off the side of the Massanutten range, a good ten miles or so away.
No threats to human life or livelihood.
Most thankful for that,
and in admiration of the firefighters keeping people and homes safe.

It is believed at this time that the fire was 'human caused'

8 comments:

Kathryn Ray said...

We have a lot of fires out here too... it's amazing how many of them are cause by a "Controlled Burn" that got out of control or wasn't fully put out.

I hope they get a handle on it soon and that you all stay safe.

TexWisGirl said...

i'm sorry the fire danger has started so early this year for so many! after last year's troubles in texas w/ the drought, i know the fear that stays in you.

lauren jean allece said...

My best friend is a wildland firefighter, he's been keeping an eye on the fires throughout the country - he's just itching to get out there and stop them!

Praying you all stay safe!!!

Nancy said...

I always get spooked when I see smoke on a clear day. I'm glad your place is not threatened.

WonderWhyGal said...

We don't seem to have fire issues here in Michigan. Of course, we have so much water and rain.

Here's wishing for a safe Spring and Summer.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

yes, yesterday when we were driving home from Williamsburg it was very smoky from Lexington to Natural Bridge. I knew there must be a big fire somewhere, but I never saw anything.

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

I hope they manage to control it before too much damage is done to the wildlife and countryside, especially this early in the season. Keep safe

genie said...

My husband was part of the group of people that fought so hard to get Rich Hole designated as a wilderness area so it is all especially upsetting to him. He wants to go out there Tuesday and see how it looks, but I have suggested staying away since law enforcement is thinks they were all set. That is just awful. All the Command Central 2 trucks and sherrif’s posse vehicles are now gone from down the road, but I still have al of my docs, my violin, and my jewelry box and meds ready to go if and when they knock.The sky in your photo is just like it is here. Does it smell as badly there as it does here. You are really not that far from me. Have been in bed 3 days and my back has finally quietened down...thanks heavens because school starts back tomorrow. Thanks for the kind thoughts.genie