Wednesday, April 4, 2012


Sometimes bad things happen.
 Like my husband getting a call at 4AM from the Fire Marshall's office telling him that there is a fire at his business.

Our family's Auto Service Shop is only a block away from our city apartment. Thank goodness it took Fritz just a few moments to get there, but I can not imagine the fear that must have been in is heart as he approached the property to see the flames and smoke shooting into the air.
The business more than just a means of income to him. The shop was started by his father in 1964. Both of his brothers are partners with him. Two of our sons work there full time and plan to be part of the legacy into the future. My other children, and cousins have participated in the business' success.


According to the Fire Marshall, the fire started on an adjacent property by a discarded cigarette that had most likely smoldered for hours in fresh mulch before igniting.
The wooden fence that separates the two properties made for great kindling.
Three cars belonging to customers were engulfed and destroyed.
Firefighters responded quickly preventing more damage to the lot and numerous other cars.
No one was physically injured.
 The fire did not reach the building.




The task of putting up temporary fencing fell to the brothers and the boys.
Physical work is a great stress reliever.

The task of calling the owners of the burned out cars fell to my husband.
That was not a stress reliever.

I wonder if the careless smoker even has a clue of the damage done?


8 comments:

Kathryn Ray said...

Oh that's terrible news.

At least no one was hurt and everything can be replaced.

TexWisGirl said...

oh, i am so sorry. i know he must feel terrible about the loss to the customers who entrusted him with their vehicles. but SO glad the business place was not impacted!

Sue said...

that certainly looks nasty. As you say a discarded cigarette and all this damage. Thank goodness for insurance and that no one was hurt

Nancy Claeys said...

I'm so sorry. Such a thoughtless act.

Meg said...

That is just terrible. I still can not believe that some people are so careless. Thank God that no one was physically hurt. And even more thanks that the building is still in tact. Praying you can get through this soon!

Debbie said...

oh, this is just so sad!!

laurenjeanallece said...

Oh my goodness... I am so sorry. I can't even imagine being faced with that. Praying for strength for you all to navigate through this time.

Genie said...

This is a heartbreaker of a story. I feel so sad for you and all of the family. I know you are thankful that no one was hurt and the building was saved, but all of the destruction is so upsetting. I hope it all works out for you and before too long you can return to some sense of normality. I despise cigarettes. They are killers in more that just one way. genie