Thursday, May 17, 2012

Breakfast


As a young learning-to-cook-wife, my Mother-In-Law was at the ready to teach me the old ways and tell me the food stories of her native Germany. 


Oma often spoke of a farmer's cheese she pronounced 'quark'.
She said "you just can't get that here in America"



"As kids we loved it when our mother mixed a little sugar into it with some strawberries."
Opa readily agreed.


I asked, "is it like cream cheese?"

"Ney, you just can't get it here."



"Is it like ricotta?"
"Ney, Ney, You just can't get it here."


I found a package labeled Farmers Cheese in the dairy section of a grocery store once.
But that wasn't quite right either.


So I gave it a try.
 Although it's not quite the cheese of Oma and Opa's memory, I am happy to have learned a new skill.

But if any of you know how to make really good Farmer's Cheese, German style...
Please...past on the secret!

{Sharing with Homestead Blog Hop}
~~~
Linking with
Farm Fresh Friday

12 comments:

sue said...

looks good to me, we used to make something similar when camping and the milk went sour, sort of a cross between cream and cottage cheese, good with black pepper and fresh white bread. We can get a product called quark here not tried it though

Jan said...

That looks good. I'd love to create something like that!

Lynne said...

I don't have a clue how to make Farmer's Cheese. My knowledge of making cheese is zero. However, I have vivid memories as a little girl, of riding in the car with my dad and stopping at the cheese factories in Wisconsin. Now that is many years ago . . ., does that count? Smile . . .

Debbie said...

yummy....and milk in a bottle, i have not seen that in years!!

Bev said...

How interesting...thanks for passing this on

dr momi said...

Looks yummy. Great pictures to follow!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I have seen quark for sale in our grocery store but didn't really know what it was.
Hope you find a good recipe.

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

As the daughter of a German cheese maker, this totally interests me!! Can I come over for a lesson? It looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Farm Fresh Friday!!

SouthernGirl said...

HI there! I found your blog via The Prairie Homestead. I know there is a recipe for quark in Ashley English's book "Home Dairy". Hopefully, it is close to what you are looking for!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Hi, do you have a recipe for this? My best friend talks about quark too! She was born in Slovenia and had it there. I'd love to make her some!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Try this link

http://www.peanutbutterboy.com/how-to-make-quark-cheese/

or

http://rheology.tripod.com/QuarkMakingOfHenning.htm

Petra said...

buttermilk makes great quark (use the dehydrator until thick) or simply strain joghurt (real one without all that starch added to it).