Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ma's Ray

My mother was widowed at age 52. My dad had been ill for years and she served that time as both caregiver and breadwinner. It wasn't until I had passed that milestone in age that I realized just how young she was and how much living she still had to do.

And Live she has.
She met her Ray nine years later, two years after the passing of his Nell.
It happened in the foyer of my home, through his then teenage grandson who was a friend of my then teenage daughter. Just a chance meeting...or a set-up, I do not know. What I do know is that sparks flew, heart shaped arrows cris-crossed the room and I am pretty sure I heard some bells ringing.


They were married a few years later in a wedding with all the trimmings, the grandson and granddaughter serving as honor attendants. White gown, walk down the isle, smashed cake feeding...all of it. Luckily, I talked her out of the veil.
They exchanged vows in front of the very same Altar that my dad's coffin had rested for his funeral.
There was something unquestionably very comforting in that for me.
It was a very happy day indeed.

Ray is a good man.
 I do not think he is capable of uttering an unkind word. 
 His wisdom, work and companionship in helping us get this farm going has been immeasurable.
I love to cook for him. The man eats and praises everything I serve. I could listen to stories about his childhood and his mother's ways all day long.
So much still to learn from him.



Happy Anniversary!
Here's to ten more, and ten more, and ten more...

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh, this is wonderful! a real 'feel good' story of love after loss. never too late!!!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

Grandma is famous this week!

Lynne said...

Beautiful . . . such a lovely post!

With tears in my eyes, my heart remembering . . . I went back to my very sudden widowhood when I was 41. Hearing you as a daughter was very meaningful to me. It was seventeen years before "the bells and whistles" caught me by surprise and this fall we will celebrate fifteen years.

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

Happy anniversary. My MIL was widowed at 52 too, she went on to meet a lovely man through her son's work. He has been a true friend and companion to her for years, we couldn't wish for someone better

lauren jean allece said...

Oh, how I love this! Life is so unexpected at times, but always so, so beautiful. You write so beautifully Marme, thank you for sharing this slice of sweetness!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Happy Anniversary this post makes my heart swell. I am so happy they found each other. B

Nancy said...

I'm so happy for the both of them. Your mother has been blessed with much love in her life. :)

Jenny said...

It is a great story. I met the love of my life at age 60, seven years ago and we're perfect for each other. Great your mother gave it a go. Happy Anniversary. xo Jenny

Tessa said...

Speechless with tears...