Friday, February 28, 2014

                                                                                           
I cannot imagine the loneliness that is in a widow's heart. 
Oma knows her Heinz is gone and grieves profoundly, but in just a short time has forgotten the details of his death and struggles to remember that we even had funeral or that it was a beautiful celebration of a life well lived.
So I sit with her working my needles answering the repetitive questions, feebly attempting to calm her frustration of memory lapse.

I have always wanted to knit a circular shawl. Here goes!

I have learned to steer the conversation to the past. Stories of their courtship, of her life as a little girl....she and her sisters used to knit at night around the kitchen table listening to the radio....
I listen and work.
Beekman sleeves completed to the bust line and ready to be attached. My self imposed deadline for this one is March 1st.
Not looking to good.
Oma is encouraging of my efforts. Asking every few stitches to see what I am knitting.
and telling me that she and her sisters used to knit....
I never grow tired of hearing that particular story.

Socks for a family of friends finished a few weeks ago. Oma loves these. I should make her a pair.

How I wish her tired and bent hands could pick up the needles now.
 


9 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Hugs to Oma and to your family this is hard. My thoughts and prayers are with you. That is a beautiful start to a circular shawl and those socks are beautiful. I wish Oma could knit again too. HUGS B

Lynne said...

I feel tears in my eyes and heart . . . for you, for family, for Oma . . .filling me with memories . . .Such a mystery it is, remembering details of the past yet can't grasp "a few minutes ago." Such a sad memory loss disease.

Caring about you and sending my love . . .

TexWisGirl said...

oh, i am so sorry for her struggles. bless you.

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

Loving the circular shawl, that yarn is so fine. I hope Oma's memories bring her some peace. Joan you are doing a great job xxx

Beth said...

It is lonely being a widow, I can attest to that.
Oma sounds like a beautiful lady! I hope you do knit her a pair of those socks!

Cathy H. said...

My prayers have been with you and your family! You are so lovely to sit and reminisce with her! Love the circular shawl, so delicate and soft!

Nancy said...

You are sweet to encourage her happy memories. Lovely knitting Joan! xo

Meg said...

The hardest part of death is helping someone get through it. What you are doing is wonderful. And your knitting looks beautiful too. I can't wait to see the shawl as it progresses.

Connie in Hartwood said...

This demonstrates so profoundly that knitting is a connection to the past, not just a means to socks or a sweater. I admire your patience and courage with the circular shawl.