Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Seeing Green

My big guy sheep Carnie produces and enormous fleece. His colors are beautiful ranging from a light silvery gray to dark gray to black with a big chunk of browns and tans just to keep it interesting. 
I do love natural colored wool, but after the dye workshop I went to, I was inspired to play around with some of the leftover 2017 fleece I still had sitting around. 


What I wanted to create was a dark green mossy colored yarn with lots of tonal variation. I wanted some of the natural colors to shine through.
So I choose a lighter brighter green acid dye ("avocado") and went to work. For fun I threw in a little bit of Mac's tan fleece and a couple of locks of white fleece from Leo for comparison. This was just an experiment after all.


What's more amazing than the colors I ended up with is that I managed not to felt any of this wool after cooking it for almost an hour!


I was thrilled with how it came out. But the real test was to spin up a bit and knit a swatch.


I get so tickled when a plan comes together just like I have in my mind. 
{wouldn't it be wonderful if I could make EVERYTHING in life work out that way?!}

I love the colors.

So much so,
This Happened:


It will be a while before I get all this spun.
I am seeing a lot of green outside now (finally) and the gardens need some love too. 

Hope your world is full of the colors you love,

~Joan






7 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Perfect color!

Lynne said...

My favorite color . . . green . . .
And this mossy green . . . spot on . . .
You must have a bit of Irish in you . . .

Lynn said...

Amazing!

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

Great colour what plans have you for it?

Debbie said...

how wonderful!! and i LOVE the color, it knitted up beautifully!! i want to learn to spin, it is up next for me!!

Leonora said...

SO cool! I love that mossy green color. What brand of acid dyes do you use? I'm curious as to whether it's the same that i use for my woven wool.

debby emadian said...

Love the name of your blog. What a great colour. I have been stashing avocado skins and stones in he freezer to have a go at dyeing. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I think the natural stones give a pinky colour. But these results are amazing. I hadn't heard about acid dyes...I must do a little research.