Monday, January 7, 2013

January Projects, Part One

White Bean and Ham Soup
 
What could be better for a crisp winter day?
 
 
 
 
2 large carrots, 2 celery stalks, 1big onion, 2 cloves of garlic all chopped up and sautéed a bit in some olive oil,
 
 
 
along with a quart of beans dried from the summer garden.
 
 
 
Toss in a smoked ham hock, a bay leaf, pepper and add 3-4 quarts of water.
 
Simmer 1-2 hours or so until beans are tender. Mash half of the beans and veggies together into the broth for a creamy texture. Chop up the ham from the bone and
 
 
 
 Enjoy.
 
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the farmhouse, there was a bit of demolition going on...
 


9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh my gosh! this reminded me of an old neighbor we had when i was a little girl. olga would made such great bean and ham soup! thank you!

Unknown said...

Mmmmm, it can't get any better than this....
Purrs, Loretta T

http://shespoketome.blogspot.com

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

what's not to love. yum!!

Judy said...

Oh Yum! This is something both my husband and I would love.

Beth said...

I love ham and beans!

lauren jean allece said...

This sounds AMAZING on wintry day! I need to bust into the realm of hearty soup-making!

Hope you have a happy week!

Lynne said...

Looks delicious . . . and similar to my recipe . . . and curious about the demolition ?

doodles n daydreams said...

Sounds delicious, yum, I love home made soup.

blessings,
Diana

Debbie said...

WoW, that looks soooo good!! i'll bet the house smelled amazing!! i would eat half a loaf of crusty bread with this!!

thanks for sharing the recipe, this is a must try for me this winter, not too difficult ;)))