Monday, March 21, 2011

The Learning Curve

I love learning. There is so much out there to do and experience that I never want to be complacent or too set in my ways not to experience something wondrous every day. I am always on the lookout for a fun class to take...floral arranging, better accounting skills, drawing, software training and of course needle crafts come quickly to mind.  I went back to college well in to my 40's just to pursue a passion for history and preservation that had always lurked around in my being. I have been able to put a few of those skills learned during that stint to good use at my farm house project, but at each turn, I am discovering just how much room there is in my noggin for more information.
Refinishing doors for example.
 I thought I had done a great job until I met Dave the guy that is refinishing our hardwood floors (...a task we had initially planned to do ourselves, but smartly opted for a speedier approach). Just listening to and watching Dave and his helpers talk to each other about sanding, grits, scraping, grain, wood varieties and various clear coat finishes, caused me to re-examine my process of door revitalization.
So armed with some new tools and LOTS of sandpaper, back to work I went.


We were limited in what we could do inside the house because of the flooring project going on so it made for a very short work weekend. That and the fact that some of the toys have arrived at the homestead and my husband just had to spend some time playing with them.



He tells me that the front yard is perfect for a dirt bike track.
We will see about that.
With some spare time at hand we took the opportunity to get out and about. Farmer Fritz looked at tractors,




while I attempted to get caught up on some long neglected knitting.




We capped the day off with a visit to a winery...another long neglected favorite pass time. Veritas has one of the nicest tasting rooms I have ever been in.




On that day, we opted to enjoy the warmth of the sunshine and enjoy our Chardonnay outside.




 Us and the chickens roaming around.




And so began the discussion of growing grapes and/or raising poultry on our land.

Something new to learn about...
 ...but first I am going to see about taking a photography class!

3 comments:

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

looks like you had a great weekend. Chickens love them, we plan to get more, the last lot were had by the fox and we got a bit disheartened but I miss collecting the eggs and chatting to my "girls". Great socks a skill I need to master

Kate @ Daffodils said...

pllllleeeaaaasseeee tell me you got a bottle of champagne from there to open around June 12th

BENScopingau said...

Hi Joan and Mr Fritz, we will closely monitor (richtig?) further developments, which seem to be very interesting ....