Friday, March 11, 2011

The sunrises at my little piece of heaven here in the Shenandoah Valley still amaze me. This morning it was especially inspiring as I woke from my first night sleeping in the farm house alone. Yesterday we had heavy rains which must have made the rolling pastures very happy. This morning as the sun came out, some of the fields seemed to green  up instantly. So pretty.





The inside of the farm house is experiencing glimpses of re-birth as well.

 All the bathrooms in the home really do need a complete functional remodel, but until we get that sorted out, I needed to make the powder room on the main floor a little brighter. The room is in the older part of the home and is very small and tight. It may even have started out life as a storage area. For now, it is amazing what a little paint and elbow grease can do.




and the before




We painted the cabinetry a creamy white (a test really to see if this look would work for the kitchen) and spray painted the hardware black. A quart of pale blue on the upper wall and I am happy with the fix. No doubt my daughter will be on a hunt for new sconces, but I don't even mind these fixtures at the moment. They speak to the history of the home as does the vintage counter top and mirror. The country way of life is to make do with what you have...hence the empty juice jug for a vase. Oh, how I am looking forward to getting my pretty vases out of storage!

2 comments:

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

amazing what a few coats of paint will do. Just think of all the yarn you can buy with the money you saved Joan.

Your view is pretty amazing too

Kate @ Daffodils said...

paint the kitchen cabinets white with that blue paint on the walls. I love it!